Rocky Mountain Voice

CBS Colorado

New Colorado Law Limits Childcare Waitlist Fees and Requires Refunds
CBS Colorado, Approved, State

New Colorado Law Limits Childcare Waitlist Fees and Requires Refunds

By Gabriela Vidal | CBS Colorado For new parents in the Denver metro area, finding the right child care facility can be challenging and expensive. However, a new state law beginning this year can help ease some of the financial strain. "I became pregnant in November 2023, and I started calling around in January 2024," said Emily Rinkel. "The last thing that I should have to worry about is where I'm going to get my childcare from." Yet that is exactly the struggle Rinkel faced when she began searching for childcare facilities for her newborn. "I put my name on the waitlist on one of the corporate facilities," she said. "It was $150, and non-refundable, and I had to pay it whether my child got into the center or didn't get into the center."By Gabriela Vidal | CBS ...
Cheers and Condemnation Follow Maduro Capture Across Colorado
CBS Colorado, Approved, State

Cheers and Condemnation Follow Maduro Capture Across Colorado

By Chierstin Roth, Jasmine Arenas | CBS Colorado President Trump says U.S. forces carried out strikes in Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, early Saturday morning and captured Venezuelan leader NicolásMaduro and his wife to be taken to a detention center in Brooklyn, New York, facing narcoterrorism charges. The capture of Maduro prompted mixed reactions from Venezuelans in Colorado, some of whom lauded his removal, and others who said the U.S. government had no business bombing Venezuela or removing Maduro. Nelson Altuve moved his family from Venezuela to Denver two years ago. "We come from so much suffering," Altuve said.  He was in search of a better life. "The violence, the shortages of supplies and food — all of that ma...
Grand County Demands Answers After State Returns Problem Wolf
CBS Colorado, Approved, State

Grand County Demands Answers After State Returns Problem Wolf

By Christa Swanson | CBS Colorado In a letter to Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, Grand County commissioners demanded answers after a gray wolf that recently wandered into New Mexico was returned. They accused the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife of violating the Wolf Restoration and Management Plan by returning the wolf to the area, citing a history of depredation. The letter accused the department of ignoring the problem this causes for local ranchers: "Wolf 2403 is a known depredator whose pack's actions have resulted in nearly $450,000 in compensation to Grand County ranchers alone. By re-releasing 2403 back into the county where its pack had previously been removed due to chronic depredation, the state is effectively "translocating the problem" for a ...
Suspect in Custody Following Series of Intentional Fires in Aurora
CBS Colorado, Approved, Local

Suspect in Custody Following Series of Intentional Fires in Aurora

By Tori Mason | CBS Colorado A man is in custody after investigators say he set a string of fires over the past week in a residential area near East 16th Avenue and North Norfolk Street in Aurora. Michael Anthony Lopez, 30, was arrested Tuesday on multiple arson charges, including second and fourth-degree arson. Investigators say the fires targeted a wide range of property, including vegetation, portable toilets, vehicles, and both the exterior and interior of apartment buildings. Aurora Fire Rescue responded repeatedly over the last week, limiting damage while officers canvassed the neighborhood and gathered evidence. Neighbors say the fear of another attack kept them up at night. READ THE FULL ARTICLE AT CBS COLORADO
Evacuations Lifted After Wildfire Contained West Of Boulder
CBS Colorado, Approved, Local

Evacuations Lifted After Wildfire Contained West Of Boulder

By Austen Erblat, Sarah Horbacewicz | CBS Colorado Evacuations have been lifted for an area west of Boulder due to a wildfire on Monday evening, Boulder County officials said. County officials said the evacuation orders were in place in the area of 519 Wild Turkey Trail in Fourmile Canyon. As of 10:30 p.m. the fire was 100% contained with about 3 acres burned. Boulder County Evacuees are being told to avoid Wild Turkey Trail and take Evening Star Road for evacuations. READ THE FULL ARTICLE AT CBS COLORADO
Colorado River Report Warns Water Crisis Nears Point Of No Return
CBS Colorado, Approved, State

Colorado River Report Warns Water Crisis Nears Point Of No Return

By Alan Gionet | CBS Colorado A new report compiled by the University of Colorado's Colorado River Research Group warns that threats to the river's water supply are now so severe that they pose a significant risk to the water supply in seven Western states and tribal areas, potentially impacting the economy and governance. The report is titled "Colorado River Insights 2025: Dancing with Deadpool." It is a compilation of reports by a variety of experts looking at different aspects of high demand and supply shortages that have led to low water levels in places like Lake Powell and Lake Mead. These issues threaten both power generation and supply. "What's missing is urgency. The window for decisive, collaborative action is closing fast," said Douglas Kenney, director...
Tens of Thousands Still Without Power as Xcel Eyes Another Front Range Shutdown
CBS Colorado, Approved, State

Tens of Thousands Still Without Power as Xcel Eyes Another Front Range Shutdown

By Jesse Sarles | CBS Colorado For just the second time in Colorado state history, Xcel Energy shut off power to thousands of people pre-emptively due to dangerous wind and fire conditions on Wednesday. At the height of the windstorm, 150,000 customers were without power.  More than 55,000 customers were still without power at midday on Thursday. There are delays in the power restoration process because Xcel crews are working with drones and helicopters to make sure there are no downed power lines in any areas where they are set to bring the lights back on. Xcel officials said they are also evaluating the need for a second public safety power shutoff this week -- starting at 5 a.m. Friday, when wind speeds are expected to reach hurricane or near-hur...
Wind Forecast And Fire Risk Force School Schedule Changes In Metro Denver
CBS Colorado, Approved, State

Wind Forecast And Fire Risk Force School Schedule Changes In Metro Denver

By Austen Erblat | CBS Colorado With strong winds and dry conditions forecast for Wednesday in Colorado, Xcel Energy says it will shut off power in large portions of the Denver metro area along the Front Range in an effort to prevent wildfires. As a result, some schools will be operating on a modified schedule while other school districts say they're in contact with Xcel Energy and might still change school schedules. While you should check with your child's school or school district for the latest information, as of Tuesday evening, the following changes or possible changes are in place: Weld County The Weld RE-4 School District says elementary school classes will be cancelled and middle and elementary schools will be getting out earl...
Trump Blasts Polis as Weak and Pathetic Over Continued Imprisonment of Tina Peters
CBS Colorado, Approved, State

Trump Blasts Polis as Weak and Pathetic Over Continued Imprisonment of Tina Peters

By Jesse Sarles | CBS Colorado President Trump continued to use strong words to describe Colorado Gov. Jared Polis on Monday. He's upset about the fact that Tina Peters, the former county clerk and top election official in Mesa County, is still behind bars. Last week, Trump posted to Truth Social that he was pardoning Peters, saying, "Tina is sitting in a Colorado prison for the 'crime' of demanding Honest Elections." READ THE FULL ARTICLE AT CBS COLORADO
Women Sue Hinge Dating App After Colorado Cardiologist Convicted In Drugging Rape Case
CBS Colorado, Approved, Local

Women Sue Hinge Dating App After Colorado Cardiologist Convicted In Drugging Rape Case

By Brian Maass | CBS Colorado Six women who say they were drugged and raped by former Denver cardiologist Stephen Matthews plan to file a civil lawsuit in Denver Tuesday against Matthews and the Hinge dating app, which they say allowed Matthews to remain on the app for years, even after women had told Hinge that Matthews was a rapist. "I thought it was unbelievably unacceptable, disrespectful and just horrifying," said one of the women who filed the suit, Alexa, 25, who asked that her last name not be used. She was 22 when she met Matthews via the Hinge app in 2023, but after a date that ended with her believing she was drugged and assaulted, she later learned that another woman had reported Matthews to Hinge as a "rapist" in 2020, then again in 2021, but he ...