Rocky Mountain Voice

Washington Examiner

IRS chief Melanie Krause resigns after agency agrees to hand over immigrants’ data to ICE
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

IRS chief Melanie Krause resigns after agency agrees to hand over immigrants’ data to ICE

By Jack Birle | Washington Examiner The acting head of the IRS reportedly plans to resign shortly after a data-sharing agreement between the IRS and the Department of Homeland Security was announced. Melanie Krause will resign via the deferred resignation program set up by the Trump administration over disagreements with the IRS’s direction, according to the Washington Post. Krause’s resignation will be the third by an IRS chief this year. READ THE FULL STORY AT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Trump opens talks with South Korea on tariffs
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

Trump opens talks with South Korea on tariffs

By Jack Birle | Washington Examiner President Donald Trump was optimistic after speaking with acting South Korean President Han Duck-soo about getting a “great deal” on tariffs and other matters with the Asian country. Trump’s phone call with the South Korean leader comes a day after he spoke with Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba about beginning negotiations on trade amid his new sweeping tariff policy. READ THE FULL STORY AT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
RFK Jr. directs CDC not to recommend fluoride in water systems
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

RFK Jr. directs CDC not to recommend fluoride in water systems

By Emily Hallas | Washington Examiner Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced Monday he is directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to stop recommending community water fluoridation.  Kennedy’s comments came after he joined Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin for an event in Utah, which became the first state to ban fluoride in public water systems in March.  READ THE FULL STORY AT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Trump threatens additional 50% tariff on China
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

Trump threatens additional 50% tariff on China

By Christian Datoc | Washington Examiner President Donald Trump said Monday that he would impose an additional 50% tariff on all Chinese goods if Beijing doesn’t withdraw retaliatory taxes on United States imports. Beijing responded to the president’s “Liberation Day” announcement last Wednesday with a 34% tariff on U.S. goods slated to take effect this week, which prompted Trump to raise the stakes again Monday morning. READ THE FULL STORY AT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Stock market sell-off continues with Dow down 1,000 points at opening
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

Stock market sell-off continues with Dow down 1,000 points at opening

By Jack Birle | Washington Examiner Despite a strong jobs report, the stock market continued to tank Friday morning in the fallout of President Donald Trump‘s sweeping tariff plan. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday that the economy added 228,000 jobs in March, while the unemployment rate increased slightly to 4.2%. The jobs figure was above expectations, but Trump’s tariff plan unveiled Wednesday, calling for at least 10% tariffs on most countries’ imports in the U.S., has markets concerned. READ THE FULL STORY AT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Iran rejects direct negotiations with Trump over nuclear program
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

Iran rejects direct negotiations with Trump over nuclear program

By Brady Knox | Washington Examiner Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian rejected President Donald Trump‘s request for direct negotiations regarding the country’s fast-moving nuclear program. Delivering the message through the Sultanate of Oman, Pezeshkian said the U.S. hadn’t shown itself as a reliable negotiating party. “We don’t avoid talks; it’s the breach of promises that has caused issues for us so far,” he said in televised remarks during a Cabinet meeting, the Associated Press reported. “They must prove that they can build trust.” Despite this, Pezeshkian stressed that the possibility for indirect negotiations is still open. “In this response, although direct negotiations between the two parties are rejected, it has been stated that the p...
Appeals court rejects Trump bid to pause federal funding freeze ruling
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

Appeals court rejects Trump bid to pause federal funding freeze ruling

By Jack Birle | Washington Examiner A federal appeals court rejected the Trump administration‘s efforts to pause federal aid through an Office of Management and Budget memorandum Wednesday, upholding a lower court’s ruling. The Trump administration attempted to pursue a blanket pause of federal aid disbursements pending a review of the various spending items in January, but the order was blocked by a federal circuit court after several lawsuits, including one by more than a dozen state attorneys general. Despite the Trump administration rescinding the memo, the court still pushed forward with haulting the blanket pause. READ THE FULL STORY AT WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Democrats dealt messaging blow after NRCC defamation threat forces Medicaid billboards to come down
Approved, State, Washington Examiner

Democrats dealt messaging blow after NRCC defamation threat forces Medicaid billboards to come down

ByRachel Schilke | Washington Examiner A vendor in charge of displaying House Democrats’ billboards accusing vulnerable Republicans of voting to cut Medicaid and give tax breaks to Elon Musk was forced to take them down after House Republicans’ campaign arm sent a cease-and-desist letter on Wednesday. The Washington Examiner exclusively reported that House Majority Forward launched six billboards in vulnerable Republican districts, those of Reps. Gabe Evans (R-CO), Don Bacon (R-NE), Ryan Mackenzie (R-PA), Monica De La Cruz (R-TX), Jen Kiggans (R-VA), and Rob Wittman (R-VA), on Tuesday. But now, the billboards have been pulled after the National Republican Congressional Committee sent a letter to Lamar Advertising Company, warning the vendor it “will b...
Supreme Court declines to revisit defamation rule criticized by Trump
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

Supreme Court declines to revisit defamation rule criticized by Trump

By Kaelan Deese | Washington Examiner The Supreme Court on Monday declined to revisit defamation protections created in its landmark 1964 ruling, New York Times v. Sullivan. This precedent has been subject to scrutiny by President Donald Trump and two Republican-appointed justices. The high court declined to take up an appeal by Steve Wynn, the ex-CEO of Wynn Resorts, of a decision made by the Nevada Supreme Court to dismiss his defamation suit against the Associated Press under a state law meant to shield the Constitution’s First Amendment protections for free speech. READ THE FULL STORY AT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Trump’s education executive order faces congressional and legal hurdles
Approved, National, Washington Examiner

Trump’s education executive order faces congressional and legal hurdles

By Mabinty Quarshie | Washington Examiner President Donald Trump‘s executive order to begin shutting down the Department of Education is all but guaranteed to face several challenges in court after multiple critics decried the action as unconstitutional. Legally, only Congress can shut down the Education Department. It is unclear if the president has the necessary votes. Still, Trump’s order calls for Education Secretary Linda McMahon to begin the process of shutting it down, and prior efforts of layoffs or deferred resignations have already significantly reduced the workforce and severely limited its Office for Civil Rights. READ THE FULL STORY AT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER